1980's Master Bath Reno-Permits & Hiccups

Thursday, February 9, 2023

We are four weeks into this reno, but technically only four days of work.  When I tell you there have been hiccups...oh man.  However, this bit of progress I love.

To remind you, this is the design plan/mood board.

To start the project, demo was done on day 1 and 2.  Plumbing was rerouted to hook up to the new tub and vanity, and the vanity lights and outlets were moved over the new, smaller vanity on days 2 and 3.  When I went to schedule the inspection, I realized I needed to have the electrical and plumbing contractors submit affidavits to the county.  That took over a week to get uploaded to the system and get the inspections scheduled.  This closed out my week I had with my tile contractor and he wouldn't be able to come back for another month.  Rookie mistake. 

Along the way there have been other hiccups. During removal of the pump for the jetted tub, water leaked out and wet the ceiling below.  So we had this unexpected damage to repair. 

An issue I anticipated was having to remove parts of the door frame to get the bathtub in the room.  The doorways to all the bathrooms here are only 23" wide. (Why???)  I couldn't find a freestanding tub that would fit.  The tub I found was 23.5" wide, and I was hoping the door stop trim could be removed without causing too much damage.  But the doorway is busted up pretty bad.  

On the bright side...hello beautiful tub!   It isn't here to stay just yet, but the plumber wanted to make sure he got the placement right for the faucet and drain.

The initial rough inspection of both the plumbing and electrical happened several weeks ago.  Plumbing passed, but electrical did not.   My 1980s bathroom/house is wired with 14 gauge wire and a 15 amp breaker.  Code now requires that bathroom outlets be wired with 12 guage wire on a 20 amp breaker.  I tell you, I am LEARNING so much on this project, lol!  So the bathroom circuit has to be completely rewired.  All this because I moved a couple of outlets over 18".  Yikes, if I had only known, I'm not certain I would have moved those outlets.  This has been the most frustrating hiccup in the project.

What else?  The plywood underlayment was only 3/8" thick, so new plywood needed to be added.  The old mortar and mesh flooring that was removed required adding a couple of layers of durock to bring them back up to original height.  And the floors were unlevel needing a layer of concrete(?) to level them back out.  At the end of which the floors are higher now than the original floor was.  No big deal except now I am pretty sure the bathroom door(s) will have to be cut down to fit back on the hinges. 

Just typing this all up is stressing me out again, lol.  Good news is work resumed this week.  In between then and now, my tile guy came back and put in the initial layer of plywood and durock.  I primed the walls and trim and started installing vertical shiplap a few weeks ago because the multiple colors, old wallpaper, and holes in the wall were driving me crazy and making the bathroom look incredibly hopeless, lol.  I only did two walls so far, to visualize how it would look from the doorway.  Just having that small bit of progress made all the difference in the wait!

 (a bit of progress)

(Demo day view)

Work resumed this week, so I will be back with tile work next.  Looking forward to having the electrical work completed too.


  1. I really enjoy your work, found you a few weeks ago and I'm hooked. You inspire me.

    1. Oh, wow, thank-you! Sorry I am just seeing this!