Upstairs Bath-A Peek at Progress

Wednesday, February 8, 2017

I wrote this post a while back, but never posted it.  In addition to painting the laundry room cabinets, I have been painting the upstairs bath cabinets.  You would think these are two pretty small paint jobs.  But the time it takes dismantling cabinet doors and drawers of their hardware, then sanding and priming to get them ready to receive paint---that is where the work lies. If I could do just the actual painting, that would be so much more fun, haha!  Running thru spraying the paint took me all of about thirty minutes.

If you will remember the starting point...

This is not the best pic.  I think the color is a little deeper in real life.  But I was so excited to see the cabinets in the bathroom, that I put the drawers back even though I had to do a second coat on the frame and touch ups.

This bath will/does belong to the Bub, but has bubble gum pink hexagon tile on the floor as you can see.  It's not chipped, cracked, or damaged in any way. (Darn it, absolutely no reason to tear it out except for the color!)  My efforts to 'defeminize' the room with charcoal gray cabinets isn't really working--that pink is pretty bossy!  But design wise I think it looks a lot better.  And if/when we get to change out the tile, I think the gray will go with the overall look I want for the space. 

I still need to ask the resident electrician to change out the lights and light switches, and I still need to hunt down a stone remnant to replace the countertop with.  I am also thinking of framing out the mirror with stained wood trim. I finished painting the laundry room cabinets but moved on to painting the kitchen wallpaper and wood trim and paneling before getting any pics.  But I  will get some soon.

Read More

Laundry Room In Progress

Taking advantage of our warmish weather, I've turned our garage into a temporary spray booth.  One of the paint projects that I started was the laundry room.  I wanted to freshen up the walls and update the cabinetry.  I thought I would pop in and share the progress made so far. 

After finding a few inspiration laundry rooms, I created a design board a few months ago, but started to waiver on the gray cabinets.  But I am also in the process of painting the upstairs bath cabinets, and I ended up going with  BM Chelsea Gray.  So I decided to go ahead and give the gray a try in here too, rather than buy a different can of paint.

Now lest the above picture fool you, the walls in here had seen nearly 30 years of service and were pretty beat up.  I'm not done yet, but hope to have the cabinets and trim finished by this weekend.  But already what an update from the starting point! 

I am new to using a paint sprayer, so I've been operating on a learning curve.  I've learned that primer sprays so much better when it's thinned.  Also, if you disassemble your sprayer, make sure you tighten all connections when you reassemble it.   Otherwise paint might spray all over you, the walls, your get the idea!  Anyways, lessons learned, and lots of sanding, haha!  Until next time... 
Read More