One Room Challenge-Fall 2020 | Week 5- Finished Desk and Project Tweaks

Thursday, November 5, 2020

It's the end of Week 5 of the One Room Challenge.  It feels like it has gone by both fast and slow.  Six weeks to complete a space feels like a long time when you begin, but all of the little details take a lot of time when it's DIY!  But that's ok.  This was a space that I have been wanting to makeover for quite a while, so however long it takes, it will be worth it.  I hope you will go check out all of the hard work other designers and DIYers have been putting into their spaces for the One Room Challenge

Let's go back to the plans and where it all began.

I had to go back and see where I left off last week, because it feels like this week has been a hodge podge of tasks--finishing up work that was started earlier. But the good news is I finally got the desk finished!   (Although as I write this, I realize I still need to add the center braces!)

If you follow along on Instagram, you saw me assemble the desk base three times.  Incorrectly the first time, correctly the second time, but taken apart and reassembled a third time to make them a bit smaller.  I feel like Goldilocks, and now they're just right.  The same can be said for the desktop.  This desk was made by resizing table plans I found online at Ana-White, and I ended up creating the desktop twice to get to my final size of 27.5" x 63", and it feels perfect for this space!   I plan on making use of the original desktop boards for a future coffee table project.  They are too pretty, and costly, to let go to waste! 

Smaller projects have been to do a minor wall repair and update the outlets in the room.  The outlets were original to the house and almond colored.  I usually ask the hubs to do electrical, but I finally learned how to replace them myself.  So it's nice to have a modern, updated outlet and a new skill.  I previously also updated the vent covers from the original ones that had been painted over.  Updating an older home, those small details can really help take the years off.  

I went back and corrected or changed a few other details.  I was using 8' crown molding I had on hand to do the room and bookcases.  But 8' wasn't long enough to span the length of the bookcase, and I had just spliced two pieces together.  But it was really noticeable, so I decided to go ahead and purchase a longer piece to avoid that joint.  I've also continued work on the crown molding around the ceiling--filling nail holes and caulking in preparation for paint. 

One other change I made was on the shiplap wall.  Originally I was planning to cover each end with a piece of lattice molding.  The final board didn't have the best cut, but the right side looked great.  So I went ahead and got two more pieces of shiplap to re-attempt the cut on the final board.  That way I could just caulk the seam on each end.  I got a better cut on the first try, and I think I like that look a bit better. I needed to remove the baseboard and crown to get that piece of shiplap out, so it had put a hold on me finishing up the crown and baseboard. 

So that's where I am this week, wrapping up all of these projects:

  • Add center braces to desk
  • Finish painting crown/bookcase/shiplap
  • Paint windows (forgot about this last week!)
  • Touch up wall paint around room
  • Install new light switch and new light fixture
  • Install bookcase lighting
  • Rehang existing drapes
  • Style Bookcases and Office for Final Reveal
I had some bonus projects that I mentioned last week, but I'm pretty sure they will have to wait until later.  I like this picture because it crops out all the unfinished projects, haha!

But this is more real life.

But, I'm super excited to see this space come together over the next couple of weeks!

To catch up from previous weeks, visit the links below!


  1. Hi Melanie! Love how your office is coming along. That desk base is just beautiful. Looking forward to seeing your reveal.

    1. Hi Lauren! Thank you, glad it came together after quite a few tweaks!